Jan 21, 2013

How to Get Rid of Things™: In Defense of Honey Boo-Boo

How to Get Rid of Things™
In Defense of Honey Boo-Boo
Jan 22nd 2013, 06:20

We’ve all seen it, even if only a commercial with clips from the show or a spoof of it. It just so happens that Sunday, the night before my weekly blog post is due, is when the new episode of Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo airs.

And you know what I have to say about that show? Good things… Really.

Yep. They’re loud, messy, uncouth, wildly nontraditional, and eat terrible, horrible, awful things… and I love them. Despite being the exact opposite of a Stepford or Kardashian family, these guys really and truly seem to love each other. They enjoy spending time together, trying new things, learning new things, and living their lives. Their four-wheeler-flipping, into-your-face-belching, dumpster-diving, toilet-paper-hoarding, pig-in-the-house-living seems like a saner, healthier option than anything reality television has provided yet. Despite what some may consider flaws, this family laughs. They talk together. They spend their time together. They organize charity events together. They mud wrestle together. They eat together. Nothing in this fricked-up, angry, hard-drinking, table-flipping, Jersey Shore/American Gypsy wanna-be culture can create a stable childhood like a family that truly loves one another. You want to criticize Honey Boo-Boo? Take a minute. How often is she laughing? Experiencing new things? Receiving the love and support from her family members?

I wouldn’t doubt, for even a moment, that Honey Boo-Boo and her family are happier than Kim Kardashian and all her money, fame, and style.

Yet, the poor diet of the Boo-Boo family is a hard thing to shake. Honey Boo-Boo’s favorite dish is “sketti,” made as a healthful blend of ketchup and margarine over noodles.

As a child, I ate what my parents made for me. (Yay! Meatloaf!)

As a teenager, I tried to sneak off to eat anything other than what my parents made for me. (Omg, mother… meatloaf?)

As a college student, I came back to my parents’ place desperate for any sort hot food. (Yay! Meatloaf!)

Now, as an on-again off-again adult, I have to shop for my food, plan my meals, and prepare them. (What should I make? Ah-ha! Meatloaf!) How very droll and adult.

Even worse, I have to plan my meals around one lovely adult addition to my life: high blood pressure. My diet should (although doesn’t always) be loaded with fruits, veggies, and whole grains; it should be low in fats, salts, artificial ingredients and preservatives. (Ummm…. Meatloaf?)

The Boo-Boo family and I won’t be eating ‘sketti together anytime soon. In fact, the only time I ever feel a twinge of sadness for their family is when considering their lifelong health. Having to try to  get rid of high blood pressure, among many other diet-related illnesses, is very likely in their future. Honey Boo-Boo and her sisters, like other children, learn their eating habits from their parents. Maybe Mama June will use her willingness to try new things, along with her love for her daughters, to bring in some healthier foods. (Pssstt! …. you wanna try some meatloaf?)

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

HotModels

Hotgirls

HotPictures

Hottest Women