Jan 30, 2013

How to Get Rid of Things™: Seasonal Affective Disorder and Me

How to Get Rid of Things™
A do-it-yourself guide dedicated to helping you prevent or remove common annoyances from your life.
Seasonal Affective Disorder and Me
Jan 30th 2013, 21:06

seasonal-affective-disorder-and-meI too like so many of you battle with Seasonal Affective Disorder. In the winter months I go to a dark place and become self-destructive, sad, depressed, and tired. I begin to oversleep, over-eat, stay home and ignore life. But it would seem that this winter I have effectively gotten rid of it (knocks on wood). It’s late January in Minnesota and I feel great. I’m sleeping well. I wake up with energy. I get things done. I don’t feel any of the depression I have experienced in prior years. I am still irritable as ever. But that is not a seasonal symptom or a disorder. That is me. I AM grumpy much of the time. But being grumpy makes me happy. Which is a bit of a curious condition as the result of the affliction is it’s own cure. Is that a paradox of some kind? I can not tell you exactly how to get rid of your Seasonal Affective Disorder. But I can tell you how I think I have tamed mine.

5 Things that I think have helped me get rid of my Seasonal Affective Disorder

1. Work that I love – When I was forced to re-evaluate my career decisions about a year ago, i.e. look for a new job. I looked deep with-in myself to discover what it was that I truly loved to do. The answer was clear. My passion is meat and cooking. I decided to find a job that would benefit that passion. So I got a job in a meat department at Whole Foods. This decision couldn’t have worked out better for me. I love my job. I love the place that I work. And I love the people that I work with. And it is my passion. Going to work can still be hard at times. But at least I know that once I get there I am going to do something that I love, and get paid for it. Knowing this helps me get up and go to work.

2. Timely sleep – Having a job that you enjoy will help with this. Sleeping the same amount of time each night is greatly beneficial to your energy level through-out the day. Try to go to bed at the same time each night. Some nights I am not as tired as others and I can not fall asleep. But I still get up at the same time, which makes me extra tired the next day. But then I don’t have any trouble falling asleep the next night. So in a way it balances you out. Also I don’t drink caffeine afternoon and I drink a lot of water before going to bed so when I wake up I get out of bed right away because I have to pee so bad.

3. Healthy diet – Since I began working at Whole Foods 11 months ago I have been buying my food solely from my store. I get 20 % off and I truly believe that much of what we sell is better for you. But more than eating hormone, antibiotic, non-GMO, and pesticide free food, eating a balanced diet is helpful. I eat lots of meat, but I also eat lots of fruits and vegetables. I also take vitamins and fish oil. I believe these things have helped me to feel better. Which in turn has helped me to stave off the depression.

4. Keeping busy – I work a lot. When I’m not at the butcher shop cutting meat and talking to customers, I’m at home cooking meat, and researching and writing recipes. I also spend time with my friends, when they’ll have me. I have been watching too much Netflix lately but I make some exceptions during the winter. But when you suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder you must remain vigilant. If I begin to feel a little depression coming on I reach out to a friend, or find something to do with others.

5. Positive attitude – It’s hard to keep yourself from falling into the old habits of self-pity and negativity. But you must try. Focus on the good parts of your life. And try to improve upon them. If there is something good about your life that you enjoy – try hard to make it a bigger part of your life. Enjoy what life has to offer. Get out there and find your passion.

I hope these tips have helped. And as I have said in my article, How to Get Rid of Seasonal Affective Disorder, don’t be afraid to talk to a professional about depression. You’re worth the effort.

 

The post Seasonal Affective Disorder and Me appeared first on How to Get Rid of Things™.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

HotModels

Hotgirls

HotPictures

Hottest Women