Feb 11, 2013

How to Get Rid of Things™: My First Laptop

How to Get Rid of Things™
A do-it-yourself guide dedicated to helping you prevent or remove common annoyances from your life.
My First Laptop
Feb 11th 2013, 20:43

my new laptopSo I bought my first laptop this past weekend. I have literally been thinking about buying one since I started college back in 1999. But for some reason every time I got close to making a purchase, something stopped me. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I didn’t really need one. I am, by nature and nurture, a very rational person (most of the time). Plus laptops were and still are a very large chuck of change. AND they keep making them better and better. I just couldn’t bring myself to buy a laptop that would literally be “out-of-date” within minutes of purchase. So I never took the leap. I have since had a need, either real or created, for a laptop in my life. And I’ve even been given a couple of laptops that I liked, loved and used quite a bit. In fact for the past 2 years I have been using an Eee PC from ASUS, that has performed quite well. Only over the last couple months did I begin to notice some pretty bad lag when I fired up my Adobe programs. So I decided it was time to put aside my hesitations and seriously look into buying a laptop.

I new that a good place to start would be Micro Center. So I begin looking at their website and came up with a few possibilities. Then the next day I stopped by the store to take a look at them. I played around with a few ASUS Ultrabooks and a couple higher-end models. But at the end of the day the cheaper ones seemed more appealing to me. I was positive that no matter what I got, it was going to be an improvement over my old ASUS. But when I talked to my friend Jonathan he had some good suggestions that kind of made me rethink my instincts. He suggested I look at the Sony VAIO, as he had just bought one and really liked it. So I started looking at them online and comparing them to the ASUS models I’d looked at. Well they were definitely better machines, and more expensive to boot. But I noticed that the biggest improvement was in the processor. So that got me started thinking about cheap laptops with fast Quad-Core processors. Thankfully Micro Center and New Egg make finding that combination pretty simple. I found 2 laptops that I believed to fit the bill. One was THIS – AMD Quad-Core ASUS, 8 GB DDR3, 1 TB HDD, Etc for $799.99 and the other was THIS – Intel i7 Samsung, 6 GB DDR3, 750 GB HDD, for $599.99. I liked that the Samsung had the Intel Quad-Core in it, as I’d seen this very same i7 processor in those fancy VAIO’s that Hatch told me about. I figured that since I’d be upgrading the HDD to an SDD anyway, I may as well save $200 dollars. And as for the RAM, well that’s pretty cheap these days, I can get 8 GB of DDR3 for less than 50 dollars. So I went with the Samsung, and I have been very happy with my purchase. I don’t even mind Windows 8 that much. Plus being a Samsung it matches my TV! Here are the full specs on my new laptop from Samsung.com

 

The post My First Laptop appeared first on How to Get Rid of Things™.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

HotModels

Hotgirls

HotPictures

Hottest Women